October 21, 2009

Hummus is Yummus - Sun Dried Tomato Hummus

True story - The main reason I registered us for a Food Processor was so I could make my own hummus. (This is where you tell me I can make it with a blender and then I tell you, yeah, well not as well).

I've had this hummus recipe (from Lauren's Kitchen) saved in my reader since May! My goal has been to use her recipe as a base to make Sun Dried Tomato Hummus. A week ago, or so, I tried just that - made her hummus and then added sun dried tomatoes and basil. While it tasted good, it was WAY to acidic... to be honest it tasted a little like sick. I knew there was a good hummus in there, it just needed less lemon, or no lemon at all.

Determined to master my sun dried tomato hummus, this past Friday I bought more chick peas and sun dried tomatoes on my way home. I hate to toot my own horn (okay, I LOVE to) but the second time around I hit it out of the park!

Ingredients
1 12-oz can chick peas
2 large cloves garlic
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes
3-4 leaves fresh basil
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or sun dried tomato oil)
2 tsp+ tahini (sesame paste)
salt
Pepper

Directions:
1. Drain water from the can of chick peas into a small bowl and reserve.

2. In a food processor, mix together the chick peas with garlic, tomatoes, basil and oil.

3. Add tahini. Start with a tsp and add more to taste.

4. Slowly add some of the liquid from beans for correct consistency, (about 1-2 minutes) until a smooth.

5. Add salt and pepper to taste.

6. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins before serving. This changes the taste of the hummus by allowing the flavors to form.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I have the same plates!!!! And a hummus addiction. Most days I eat it for lunch with baby carrots. Sooo good! :)

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

Good idea! I think I might try that for lunch too :) Thanks!
I love these plates, I just wish I could find more b/c I broke a bowl 2yrs ago and I need a replacement.

nodakademic said...

Yummmmmmm

Nerdy Wife said...

Your title made me giggle. I loooove hummus, but I've never made it myself! You've inspired me to try, though!

Katie said...

Oh yummm-o! Saving this recipe to try...I've been compiling some different ones from Food Network, but seeing a real pic of yours has me hooked! :)

And no, you aren't crazy for wanting a food processor to make it...when I got mine, that was honestly one of the first things I decided to make!

Post a Comment

 

His Birdie's Nest All rights reserved © 2010
Template Designed by HowJoyful