November 8, 2009

Cooking Light: Pumpkin Pie

All last week anytime the Hubs and I went to the grocery store (which was more than anyone one couple should go in one week) he would stop at every pumpkin pie he saw and say, "Ooo Pumpkin Pie". Which was his hint that he wanted one. Sure we could have just bought him the store pumpkin pie and he would have been happy, but they aren't difficult to make and let's be honest, a blog about a pumpkin pie you bought at the store isn't very interesting.

When we found the canned pumpkin, my original plan to just make the recipe on the can, (What? I've been sick!) but I had the Hubs grab the non-fat sweetened condensed milk to cut some calories. Luckily, I thought ahead because that was exactly what the Classic Pumpkin Pie recipe on Cooking Light called for.

Ingredients
FILLING:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I didn't have a whole 3/4 cup of brown sugar. I used maple syrup to get my 3/4 cup. I got the idea from here)
1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk (I actually used non-fat)
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin

CRUST:
1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
Cooking spray

Directions:
1 - Preheat oven to 425°.

2 - To prepare filling, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add pumpkin, and stir with a whisk until smooth.

2 - To prepare crust, roll dough into an 11-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under and flute.

3 - Pour pumpkin mixture into the crust. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet on lowest oven rack. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 50 minutes or until almost set. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 222 (30% from fat)
Fat: 7.4g (sat 3.7g,mono 0.7g,poly 0.1g)
Protein: 4.1g
Carbohydrate: 35.3g
Fiber: 3g
Cholesterol: 32mg
Iron: 0.8mg
Sodium: 241mg
Calcium: 104mg


I'm not gonna lie, that is the best crust I have ever fluted. I was so bummed when I nicked the pie with the oven mitt when I was taking it out :(

Verdict: This is probably one of the best pumpkin pies, I've tasted ifIdosaysomyself, and the Hubs LOVES it. He said, "it is very creamy and pumpkiny" - SCORE!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I made this same pie last year. I agree...it's delicious and is going to be on the menu for Thanksgiving this year!

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

I'm definitely bringing it to my mom's for Thanksgiving this year, too!

violarulz/ducksandbooks said...

mmmmm, ours is cooling on a trivet on the stove and smells divine. yum!

Post a Comment

 

His Birdie's Nest All rights reserved © 2010
Template Designed by HowJoyful