November 11, 2010

Adventures in Dining Out: Chipotle

I know, I know, what am I going to post about next, my dinner at Chili’s? You guys, yesterday was my very first trip to Chipotle. When it first came out I refused to because of it’s association with McDonalds… since I don’t eat at McDonalds I wasn’t going to eat a Chipotle. About a year ago I learned that McDonalds fully divested from Chipotle in 2006. This was also the time I discovered Chipotle's "food with integrity" philosophy. Granted they’re not completely organic or using all responsible meat, but I like that they are at least making an effort where most restaurants aren’t.

Chipotle is also a Gluten Free friendly restaurant and lists their ingredients and allergen information on their website.

I recently discovered a good family friend of mine is going to college 5 minutes from my office.

BeccaMe
Becca and I have been trying to meet-up for lunch for a little over a month and we finally got our act together yesterday. Becca is also Gluten Free (celiac), she and her mother were the main reason I wasn’t totally bummed when I found out I was gluten intolerant. They make all kinds of yummy foods and our families have cooked for each other before, I’d already seen first hand how doable this is.

Soooo, yesterday my sister, Jen and I met Becca at the Chipotle near her school.

ChipotleTweet1 (Wow, type much Allison?)

I relate the way your order to ordering at Subway, but less complicated…

ChipotleSign

Less complicated because really there are only 4 things to choose from: Burrito, Bowl, Taco or Salad. You pick which one of these you want, then your meat (or lack there of) and toppings.

Becca ordered a chicken taco…

ChipotleBeccaTaco
Jen ordered a steak salad…

ChipotleJenSalad
and I also ordered a steak salad.

ChipotleAliSalad
Let is be known that I did not want that much sour cream, but the lady behind the counter misunderstood my request for guacamole as a request for more sour cream.

Did I like it?

ChipotleTweet2
And, did I go back for dinner? Well, with a compliment like this, how could I not?

ChipotleTweet3
So, in one day I ate at two Chipotles… two different Chipotles. I have a steak and a chicken salad – one with way more sour cream than I needed and the other with way too much guacamole (I had to even it up). The customer service at both stores was excellent and very friendly :) I would definitely recommend Chipotle if you haven’t already tried it (meaning I’m not the last person to have never been to a Chipotle).

Is there a popular restaurant where you’ve never eaten?

12 comments:

Megan said...

Ha! Their last tweet to you made me laugh out loud! Although I'm sure you did look nice that day :D I love Chipotle but I try not to eat their toooo often because I always go overboard on the calories. Glad you liked it!

Jessica Lynn said...

Cute post and I love how interactive they are on Twitter—awesome. I've actually never been to Chipotle, but maybe I will some day.

Andnowlights said...

I LOVE Chipotle. One of the two things I miss most about Living in Lexington- I had super easy access to it!

honey my heart said...

oh, that looks delicious!! i must go to my local one now :)

Jessica said...

I've never eaten there but my sister LOVES it! Maybe I'll tag along next time. If more places tweeted their customers like that, maybe they would have more awesome diners like you. ;)

Nellie said...

omg.. hubs would LOVE you!!! He livens up immediately whenever I say I'm craving Chipotle. And I must say.. I totally dig that you incorporated your tweets into this post.

Amy said...

I can't believe you have lived in So Cal all this time and never eaten there! Amazing, right?

BigAppleNosh said...

I LOVE Chipotle! It's my guilty pleasure when I'm dining solo (w/out the hubs) :). I get the burrito bowl with rice, black beans, corn salsa, tomato salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. It is soooo good!

Try Anything Once Terri said...

This is surprising. I had not heard about Chipoltle until about 5 years ago, but apparently it's been out west for waaay longer than that. I LOVE Chipoltle. After I discovered it, one opened a block from my husband's old apartment. Not good. Back then I could easily have lived off of it. I get a burrito bowl now too. I get the veggie one so I can get the guac included with no extra charge. :)

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

@Jessica - You're so sweet :) and I love that they tweeted back. I wish more companies were that active on Twitter.

@Nellie - I know how he feels, I talked Hubs into it last night and I was super excited :)

@Amy - Totally!

@BigAppleNosh - Mmmmmm corn salsa

@Terri - I did not know this about the Veggie Bowl! I know what I'm getting next time, thanks!

Katie said...

Ahhh I can't believe it took you this long to go to a Chipotle - soooo soooo good! I always get the salad (no dressing), with black beans, chicken, the fajita veggies, corn salsa, the extra spicy salsa, and guacamole. They'll pretty much give you whatever you want, which is great! Gotta get those fajita peppers and onions even if I technically am not getting a "fajita burrito"

EmilyB said...

That is so crazy you'd never been to Chipotle before!! I've been going since high school. They have a location in my hometown and it's such a popular spot. What I love most about the place (aside from the food) is the diversity of the clientele. The one I frequent attracts people from all walks of life and I LOVE that. Food...brining people together :) Remember, I'm from the Midwest, not exactly a mecca of diversity. I actually heard they're opening and Asian-concept chain in the next year. Can't wait for that!!

Post a Comment

 

His Birdie's Nest All rights reserved © 2010
Template Designed by HowJoyful