January 12, 2010

Monkey Bread!

I wish I could describe to you, interwebs, the way I sing Monkey Bread... it's like do, da, dooooo, which makes sense to me, but probably makes no sense to you. Oh, well it makes me smile.

Monkey Bread is another recipe Hubs had been bugging me to make. Geez this weekend was awesome for him! Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars AANNDD Monkey Bread? SCORE!

I had looked all over the internet for a Monkey Bread recipe where I could make my own biscuits instead of just buying the pre-made stuff in the can, and I was fully prepared to go all Martha Stewart and make her recipe, found here, but then a friend told me Hungry Girl had a recipe and I decided to make those instead. As much as I like to make things from scratch as much as possible, with in reason... I chose calories.


Less Monkey Business Monkey Bread
adapted very slightly from this Hungry Girl recipe

Ingredients
3 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated), divided
2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
2 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
2 tbsp. Splenda brown sugar mix (not packed)
1 package Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations Seamless Dough Sheet
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Directions
1 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 - Mix 1 tbsp. Splenda and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a large bowl or container. Set aside. Spray six cups of a muffin pan with nonstick spray, and set pan aside as well.

3 - Place a small pot on the stove, but do not heat it. Add butter, syrup, Splenda brown sugar mix, 2 tbsp. Splenda, and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Leave this on the unheated stove, to be melted and mixed later on.

4 - Roll out the dough on a clean dry surface, and sprinkle evenly with baking powder. Gently smooth baking powder into the sheet with your fingers.

5 - Cut dough sheet widthwise into six strips equal in size. Cut each strip into four squares. Roll each square into a ball, for a total of 24 dough balls.

6 - Place 12 dough balls in the bowl with the Splenda-cinnamon mixture. Lightly toss to coat.

7 - Place them gently in the muffin pan, with four dough balls in each of the 6 cups.

8 - Bring the small pot on the stove to medium heat. Stirring frequently, heat just until butter has melted and contents are mixed well.

9 - Evenly spoon the butter mixture over the dough balls.

10 - Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until puffy and firm. Allow to cool slightly, and then plate and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

His Birdie's Nest All rights reserved © 2010
Template Designed by HowJoyful