April 19, 2010

Personal Spinach Pesto Pizzas

A couple weeks ago, when Butternut Squash Lasagna, I WAY over bought the spinach. Like we've made the recipe twice now and I still have too much spinach. I know pesto can be frozen really well and I didn't want to waste any spinach, so I decided to make some spinach pesto.

The Hubs and I are pretty pick when it comes to the thickness of our pizza crust. I like thin and he likes thick. We attempted to make our own pizza with the pre-made dough from Trader Joe's but we weren't happy with the way the crust turned out... probably due to lack of patience on our parts, but I found a tastier alternative - Sourdough English Muffins (also from Trader Joe's).

How do you make them? First make the pesto...

Spinach Pesto
adapted from this on the simple me

Ingredients
3 cups of raw spinach, packed tight
1/2 cup raw walnuts
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp honey
fresh ground salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
1 - In a food processor, combine nuts, cheese, garlic & honey. Pulse until they make a paste.
2 - Add spinach, pulse a few times.
3 - Add basil, pulse a few times.
4 - Slowly add olive oil until it’s a creamy consistency – but small chunks of spinach are fine.
5 - Add salt & pepper to taste.

Next make the pizza...

Personal Spinach Pesto Pizzas
by Ali at Hisbirdie's Nest

Ingredients
Spinach Pesto
Sourdough English Muffins
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Sliced Tomato

Directions...



3 comments:

Joy @ HowJoyful said...

I will def try this now that Ken got a Massive BAG of spinach! hehe I ran out of ideas on how to incorporate spinach =)

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

THANK YOU for this! We absolutely loved it and are using the rest of the pesto for pasta.

The only difference i did was put them under broiler instead of microwave cuz i like my cheese a little crispy.

ps. love the new blog design. I know firsthand how talented Joy is!

Post a Comment

 

His Birdie's Nest All rights reserved © 2010
Template Designed by HowJoyful