May 21, 2010

Tempeh Veggie Tacos

Some of you maybe thinking, “Ali, what the hack is tempeh?” Well, according to tempeh.info, Tempeh is a fermented food made by the controlled fermentation of cooked soybeans with a Rhizopus mold (tempeh starter). The tempeh fermentation by the Rhizopus mold binds the soybeans into a compact white cake. Sounds appetizing, no? I know it doesn’t, but trust me it is. The first time I ate tempeh (that I know of) was when I went to the Veggie Grill a few weeks ago and since then I’ve been itching to use it in a recipe. I’ve also been itching to make veggie tacos for like forever because I love the ones at Islands. However, their tacos have bell peppers in them and Hubs can’t eat bell peppers so I couldn’t just copy their ingredients.

Where is this going? Early this week, Jen over at My Kitchen Addiction posted a recipe for Grilled Vegetable Tacos. Thank you Jen! Turns out this was the perfect recipe to kick my butt into combining tempeh and veggies into a taco.


It was also the perfect opportunity to highlight the awesome veggies I can get from our location CSA Farm, South Coast Farms. All the vegetables in this recipe are local and organic, purchased from South Coast Farms. Except for the corn *hangs head in shame*, that I got pre-roasted in the freezer section of Trader Joes because I didn’t have time to grill ears of corn last night. Trader Joes is also where I purchased the tortillas and tempeh.

Now for the recipe…

(Click Recipe to Enlarge)

P.S. Do NOT lick the chiles! Yes, it smell sweet, but it they spice ;-)
P.P.S. Yes, I did lick a chile :-/

3 comments:

megan marie said...

I love the taste of tempeh, but I hate hate hate cooking it, because I can't get over the moldy look! Luckily my husband is getting into the kitchen more often, and has no problem with the moldiness. I am going to pass this recipe on to him, so I can eat it! Yum, and thank you!

charms said...

i agree - not a fan of the way tempeh looks but it can taste pretty good. hubs is vegetarian and i was for 7 years so when i cook at home i make only fake meat/vegetarian meals. can't wait to try this out :)

grace said...

i'm pretty unfamiliar with tempeh, but i know all those vegetables quite well and think they'd make for a tasty taco! the sauce is the kicker though--well done. :)

Post a Comment

 

His Birdie's Nest All rights reserved © 2010
Template Designed by HowJoyful